This week we are walking with dinosaurs in own Jurassic Journey area to discover some fierce dinosaur facts.
Dinosaurs ruled the Earth for over 160 million years! They started at the Triassic period which was around 230 million years ago. Then they thrived through the Jurassic period and up until the Cretaceous period which was around 65 million years ago.
Scientists believe that the event leading to the extinction may have been a massive asteroid impact or huge volcanic activity.
At Birdland Park & Gardens visitors can embark on a venture through the Jurassic woodland and spot over 30 life-sized dinosaurs. Don’t forget to look up as some dinosaurs could fly! Then on the way around be sure to check out the dino-dig and uncover some prehistoric fossils.
Want to learn more about the dinosaurs at Birdland? Then check out the recent video from our Head Keeper as he walks your through the adventure online – tune in here.
It’s time to test your dino-knowledge, how many of these dinosaurs in the Jurassic Journey area do you know the name of?
Got your answers? Now scroll to the bottom of the blog to see how many you have got right!
Fun Dinosaur Facts
- The word dinosaur comes from the Greek language and means ‘terrible lizard’.
- A person who studies dinosaurs is known as a palaeontologist.
- Birds descended from a type of dinosaur known as theropods!
- The Stegosaurus had a brain the size of a walnut at only 3cm long and weighing 75grams.
- So far there are 700 different species of dinosaurs. However, palaeontologists believe that there are many more to be discovered.
Answers to the Quiz
1 – Velociraptor 2- Brachiosaurus 3- Triceratops 4- Spinosaurus 5- Pteranodon 6- Stegosaurus. If you got all six, you’re a truly perfect palaeontologist!
Check out our Youtube channel for more Jurassic Journey sneak peeks.